Have you ever received an email that contained a ZIP file attached and had no idea what to do with it? A ZIP file is opened on practically any computer or operating system, just like conventional digital folders. However, unlike traditional folders, using the files inside requires more than a double-click. Here’s how to open a ZIP file on an iPhone or Android device.
What is a ZIP File?
A ZIP file is a compressed file and folder format used for archiving, storage, and communication. When moved or sent from one digital storage area to another, it is treated as a single file. The file extension “.zip” appears at the end of the file name.
Most operating systems include applications for creating and opening ZIP files. However, you can use third-party applications such as WinZip, 7zip, and WinRAR to accomplish the same task.
How to open the zip file on an Android phone or tablet?
You’ll need to download and install a zip file converter on your Android phone to extract files from a ZIP file opener, such as the Files app from the Google Play Store. The app comes pre-installed on many Android phones. To see if you already have the app, go to your home screen and tap the Apps button, which looks like a square with four or nine dots.
- Open the Files application. If you’re going through the initial setup, you may need to provide the app access to your device’s photos, media, and files. To do this, click Allow.
- Then, at the bottom of your screen, click Browse.
- Find the ZIP file you wish to download and double-click it. For example, you might find it in the “Download” folder if you downloaded it as an attachment from an email.
- Select the file you’d like to open, then hit Export. It will provide a list of the files contained within the ZIP folder.
- Click Done when it is finished. You can access files by clicking the download arrow next to the right of a file and touching it all at the top of the screen. Then, from the menu “Open with”, choose an application.
How to open the zip file on an iPhone?
Like Mac laptops, iPhones and other Apple devices have a built-in function that allows you to view ZIP files. However, to extract usable files from a ZIP file on your mobile device, you’ll need to download an archiving app like iZip from the App Store. iZip is a free program, similar to the Files app for Android, so there are no subscriptions or membership bills to worry about.
- Get the iZip app, install and open it.
- Then, at the top of your screen, select Files. This function will only function when you’ve downloaded the ZIP file to your iPhone.
- Find the ZIP file from which you wish to extract files. For example, check your Files app for the ZIP file if you downloaded the file from a website or an email.
- To extract a ZIP file, tap it. Then, for a second or two, tap and hold to bring up a pop-up menu.
- Finally, in the pop-up, touch OK. It will unzip (or extract) all of the files in the ZIP folder automatically. Depending on the size, it could take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.
Note: If your ZIP file does not appear in Files, go back to it and click the “send to” button. Then, from the “More” option, select “Copy to iZip.”