Taking backup of your important data is always a good option. That’s why here we will talk about how to backup your laptop. However a question arise that why should we take backup of our laptop? Well because no matter how expensive your laptop is or what brand it belongs to, one thing is undeniable, every electronic is quite fragile and no data is completely safe there. So, here is your complete guide about how to backup your laptop.
Now, there are two ways to backup your laptop. One way is to get your backup to an external drive and the other way is to do the same on an external hard drive. In this article, while we shall talk about how to backup your laptop, we shall cover these two topics thoroughly.
How to backup your laptop?
How to backup your laptop to an external drive?
At first, we shall discuss how to backup your laptop to an external drive if it is a MAC computer. Follow the steps to know about this.
- Firstly, get any external drive from an electronics store. Obviously, aim for the one that has more space than others.
- Plug in that external drive to your laptop.
- Your MAC system will ask if you want to use it as your backup disk. Grant the permission by selecting the option called: Use as Backup Disk”.
- Click on “Select Backup Disk” from Time Machine’s preferences and choose the external drive.
- It is now done. Your operating system will take the backup of your laptop.
Now, we shall move on to Windows system. Follow the steps to know how to backup your laptop to an external drive especially if it is run by Windows.
- Go to any electronics store and purchase a good external drive that provides more space.
- Just like the MAC computers, you need to plug in the drive to your computer.
- Now, the computer will ask for your permission whether you want to use it as your backup or not.
- Click on Yes.
- You can also go to the Start Menu and type “backup” if you want to continue.
- Now, click on the “Set Up Backup” button. And click on the “Next” button.
- You need to press the “Next” button for the upcoming few pages.
- When you reach the last page, you need to click on the “Save Settings and Run Backup”.
- And now the job is complete, from this day onwards, your external drive will keep taking every day backup from your laptop.
How to backup your laptop on an external hard drive?
If you are one of those people who are very skeptical about keeping your important data in your laptop, you might find an external hard drive to be very beneficial and important. Here, you can automatically save all your important data at time that you choose. Here are the steps to let you know how to backup your laptop by using external hard drive:
- Go to an electronics shop and buy an external hard drive for your computer.
- Now, connect the drive to your computer.
- Then go to the Start menu and tap on it.
- If it is Windows 10, you need to type backup and therefore, select backup settings next.
- But if you have Windows 11, type file history and select the same.
- Now, click on “Add a drive”.
- Once you click on the previously-mentioned option, you will be given another option called: “Select a drive”.
- Select the drive which you want to use as your backup.
- Now, “Automatically back up my files” will get enabled to get your backup from every file or folder by default.
- Click on “More” if you want to add more.
- Review the folders.
- If anything is missing, click on “Add a folder” .
- Your drive will start taking backup of everything that your laptop has.