Xiaomi has become one of the biggest smartphone brands in India. Xiaomi sold around 13 million devices this Diwali out of which 9 million were smartphones as per the Official Mi India reports. But, this heavy ongoing smartphone sale during Diwali, became a vital hub for counterfeiters very quickly in the Indian market, and is becoming harder to spot the original and fake electronic product these days.
Xiaomi reported on Monday that around Rs. 33.3 lakhs worth of fake devices were seized from an ongoing nexus, which started earlier this month. These raids were conducted in Bengaluru and Chennai after several complaints were booked in these two cities. These products consisted of headphones, power banks, mobile-cases, and chargers which were being sold steadily throughout the Indian Market which combined to create a perfect storm of counterfeiting. Few shop owners were arrested during the ongoing raids who were involved in the business for a long time and have sold multiple unauthorized products in the market.
To put light on this matter, Xiaomi India has assigned a few special task forces to continuously monitor and regulate the malpractices in the Indian electronic market. Xiaomi India says that buyers should be beware of such incidents and only purchase genuine products from authorized stores of the brand and partner outlets.
Identifing fake Xiaomi products
- Some products carry security codes that can be checked on mi.com to identify the authenticity of the product like Mi Powerbanks and all audio products.
- The packaging and quality of retail boxes are very different. You can visit any Mi Home/ Mi Store to validate the original packaging.
- Check for the original Mi India Logo on the product to know if that is authorized. The original logo of the packaging can be seen on Mi official website.
- All authorized fitness products such as Mi Band(s) will have Mi Fit app compatibility.
- Unauthorized cables are often flimsy and break easily, make sure the cable material is according to the standards.
Click here to compare Xiaomi smartphones.