Round 4 of India’s Chinese app ban is here, making the count reach 220 so far – including PUBG Mobile, TikTok, ShareIt, AliExpress, and more.
The Indian government on Tuesday foisted an all-new ban on 43 mobile apps under provisions of Section 69A of the Information Technology Act. The banned apps were supposedly linked in some way or the other with our fellow country China. Some of the most popular include AliExpress, CamCard, Taobao Live.
Earlier on June 29, the government occluded access to 59 Chinese apps including the massively popular TikTok and UC browser. On September 2nd, another combo of 118 apps was banned which included the widely popular game PUBG. PUBG rapidly grew its user base in India since its launch which is why it was a little tough for some to bid farewell, especially the youth.
The statement released by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology stated, “This action was taken based on the inputs regarding these apps for engaging in activities which are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defense of India, the security of the state and public order,”. The order was purveyed on the basis of comprehensive reports received from the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Center, Ministry of Home Affairs.
Here is the list of all the 43 Chinese apps banned by the government.
- AliSuppliers Mobile App
- Alibaba Workbench
- AliExpress – Smarter Shopping, Better Living
- Alipay Cashier
- Lalamove India – Delivery App
- Drive with Lalamove India
- Snack Video
- CamCard – Business Card Reader
- CamCard – BCR (Western)
- Soul- Follow the soul to find you
- Chinese Social – Free Online Dating Video App & Chat
- Date in Asia – Dating & Chat For Asian Singles
- WeDate-Dating App
- Free dating app-Singol, start your date!
- Adore App
- TrulyChinese – Chinese Dating App
- TrulyAsian – Asian Dating App
- ChinaLove: dating app for Chinese singles
- DateMyAge: Chat, Meet, Date Mature Singles Online
- AsianDate: find Asian singles
- FlirtWish: chat with singles
- Guys Only Dating: Gay Chat
- Tubit: Live Streams
- First Love Live- super hot live beauties live online
- Rela – Lesbian Social Network
- Cashier Wallet
- MGTV-HunanTV official TV APP
- WeTV – TV version
- WeTV – Cdrama, Kdrama&More
- WeTV Lite
- Lucky Live-Live Video Streaming App
- Taobao Live
- Identity V
- Isoland 2: Ashes of Time
- Boxster (Early Access)
- Heroes Evolved
- Happy Fish
- Jellipop Match-Decorate your dream island！
- Munchkin Match: magic home building
- Conquista Online II
As an affirmation, Founder and CEO of VideoMeet Pvt Ltd. parent company for VideoMeet App, Dr. Ajay Data said, “supporting the authorities on this front due to the geopolitical tensions our country is facing, and the realization of how data breaching can impact their businesses, in the long run, has also strengthened”. He further continued that this is an “an opportune time for Indian tech and IT community, to work towards making India’s IT framework more resilient. This support to homegrown apps will help us in going global. This is also great for the Atmanirbhar Bharat mission of Govt of India.”
“very smart move and sends out a clear message that Chinese apps can’t use such tactics to engage in activities that are prejudicial to India’s sovereignty” said Sumit Ghosh, CEO and co-founder of Chingari.
Aditya Narang, Co-founder & MD of cyber security firm SafeHouse Technologies says “It takes several security-sensitive and intrusive permissions which the user doesn’t understand but ends up agreeing to. As the threat to secure user data is increasing, users must make sure their mobile phones are protected, secured and encrypted.”